A frying pan is an essential piece of kitchenware that can be found in almost every household. It is a flat pan with a long handle, usually made of metal, used for baking and frying food. Frying pans are available in a variety of sizes and materials, including stainless steel, cast iron, and aluminum. They are often used for frying eggs, pancakes, bacon and other foods, and are easy to clean and maintain. Whether you’re a professional chef or a novice in the kitchen, a frying pan is an indispensable tool for preparing delicious meals.
Popular brands of frying pans
There are plenty of quality frying pans, which are offered by many different brands. It is therefore difficult to make a choice between all these frying pans. There are popular, high-quality brands, such as Le Creuset. This French brand is known for its cast iron pans and enameled cast iron cookware. Their skillets are made of enameled cast iron and have excellent heat distribution and retention. Demeyere pans are also popular. This is a Belgian brand that specializes in stainless steel cookware. Their frying pans are made of multi-layer stainless steel. The Dutch brand BK has also been offering frying pans in different materials for more than 150 years, namely aluminium, stainless steel and carbon steel. Finally, the well-known Belgian brand Greenpan. This brand specializes in healthy and sustainable cookware. Their skillets have a ceramic non-stick coating that is free of harmful chemicals
A frying pan with or without a non-stick coating?
A non-stick coating is a coating applied to the inside of a frying pan to prevent food from sticking to it during cooking. There are pros and cons to having a non-stick coating in a skillet. These are described below.
Advantages of a non-stick coating:
- Food does not stick to the pan, making it easier to flip and serve food.
- Less fat is needed when cooking food because less oil is needed to keep the food from sticking to the pan.
- The pan is easier to clean and requires less scrubbing and soaking.
Disadvantages of a non-stick coating:
- Some non-stick coatings contain chemicals that can be harmful if released at high temperatures.
- Non-stick coatings can wear over time and begin to peel, allowing small pieces to get into the food.
- Non-stick coatings cannot be used at very high temperatures, which can lead to overheating of the pan and damage to the coating.
- Non-stick coatings have a limited lifespan and must be replaced over time.
What should you pay attention to when buying a frying pan?
To buy the best frying pans, you will have to pay attention to several factors. This way you can apply your own wishes and needs to your frying pan. Below are the points that you can pay attention to.
- Size: Choose a pan that is large enough for the amount of food you usually cook. Also consider the size of your hob and whether the pan will fit on it.
- Material: Frying pans are available in a variety of materials, each with their own advantages and disadvantages. Stainless steel is durable and easy to clean, while cast iron retains heat well and is suitable for both the oven and stove. Aluminum skillets are light and heat conductive, but can become scratched over time.
- Non-stick coating: A non-stick coating can make cooking and cleaning easier, but it’s important to make sure the coating is safe and durable.
- Handle: The handle of the pan should be comfortable to hold and should not get too hot during cooking. Also choose a handle that is firmly attached to the pan.
- Price: Frying pans vary widely in price, from cheap to very expensive. Consider your budget and how often you plan to use the pan when choosing a pan.