A casserole is a versatile and indispensable piece of kitchen equipment for preparing delicious stews, stews and other dishes. It is a deep, heavy pan that is suitable for both searing and simmering meats and vegetables. By using a casserole, flavors are optimally preserved and dishes get a delicious, intense taste. In addition, the casserole can also be used in the oven, making it a useful tool for preparing casseroles and other oven dishes. In this time of slow cooking and comfort food, the frying pan is an indispensable item in every kitchen.
What do you make in a casserole?
Due to the thick bottom and good sealability of the casserole, the dish can cook slowly and the flavors are well preserved. In addition, the meat remains juicy and tender. A casserole is therefore ideal for preparing large pieces of meat and dishes that need to simmer for a long time.
- Stews, such as hachee, boeuf bourguignon and goulash
- Simmer dishes, such as pulled pork and stewed chicken
- Soups, such as pea soup and oxtail soup
- Roasts, such as roast beef, pork roulade and leg of lamb
- Bread, such as sourdough bread and brioche
What makes a casserole so special
A casserole is special because of its unique properties and benefits when preparing casseroles and other dishes. First, a casserole has a thick bottom and sides, which distributes and retains heat evenly. This ensures even cooking and the retention of flavors and juices in the dish. Secondly, a frying pan is usually made of cast iron, which means it can withstand high temperatures and long-term use. The cast iron also retains heat, keeping dishes hotter for longer, even when removed from the heat. In addition, a casserole often has a lid that fits tightly on the pan, so that the steam remains in the pan and the moisture content in the dish is preserved. This makes the meat extra tender and juicy. Finally, a casserole is a versatile cookware that can be used not only on the stove, but also in the oven. This makes it perfect for preparing casseroles and other oven dishes.
What should you pay attention to when you buy a frying pan?
When buying a frying pan there are a number of things to look out for to ensure you buy a good quality pan that meets your needs. Below are some important points to keep in mind:
- Material: Frying pans are usually made of cast iron, enameled cast iron or stainless steel. The materials each have their own advantages and disadvantages. So check this carefully beforehand.
- Size: Frying pans come in different sizes, so it’s important to consider how many people you want to cook for and how large the portions should be. A pan of 4 to 5 liters is suitable for a family of 4 people.
- Lid: A casserole dish with a tight-fitting lid traps steam and moisture, which helps keep meat juicy and tender. Check that the lid fits properly and that it is firmly attached.
- Handles: Choose a frying pan with sturdy, heat-resistant handles that are easy to grip and do not get too hot during cooking.
- Price: Frying pans are available in different price ranges, depending on the material and quality. Consider how often you will use the pan and how important quality is to you.
- Heat source: It can differ per pan for which heat sources the pan is suitable. Make sure that the frying pan you buy is suitable for the heat source you have at home.