Celery has a unique taste. Usually you can clearly taste that celery has been put in a dish. But after cooking for a long time in, for example, an Italian pasta sauce, the taste is no longer so dominant.
Not everyone likes the taste of celery. But it is very healthy, because celery is packed with vitamins B & C and potassium. The vitamins help to increase your resistance. Potassium works well against high blood pressure or lowering cholesterol.
Eating or drinking celery?
I love celery as a snack with a healthy dipping sauce (yoghurt with a little spice), but celery can also be used in:
- vegetable shakes
- celery salad
- stir-fry vegetables or in one
It is a flavor that you can use a lot. Just make sure you coordinate it with the other flavors. The taste of celery can quickly dominate. That is not a problem for fans of this green healthy stem, but it may happen that others find the meal less tasty.
Do you know that many people also like celery in combination with peanut butter?
Why do many people find celery less tasty?
I like the taste, but Jenny isn’t too fond of it either. Although she does eat it, because she knows how healthy it is. The typical taste of celery is caused by phthalides. This substance relaxes muscles and dilates blood vessels. This reduces stress and also ensures that any high blood pressure can be reduced. If you know that, then you take the taste for granted, don’t you?
What are the health benefits of celery?
Celery is a versatile food that should be included in any healthy diet. Above you will find some examples why celery is healthy. Let’s take a closer look at those health benefits and list them.
15 health benefits of celery
1. Contains celery low in calories. A celery stalk contains only about 6 calories, making it a great food for weight loss or maintenance.
2. Celery is one good source of fiber. Fiber helps regulate digestion and can bulk up the stool to prevent constipation.
3. Celery can help it lower cholesterol levels. The fiber in celery binds to cholesterol in the gut and helps remove it from the body.
4. Celery can help regulating blood pressure. Celery’s potassium content helps relax blood vessels and reduce tension in the cardiovascular system.
5. Celery is one good source of vitamins and minerals. Celery is especially high in vitamins C and K, as well as folic acid and potassium.
6. Celery can help help improve digestion. The fiber in celery helps keep things moving in the digestive tract, while the water content keeps the intestines hydrated.
7. Celery can inflammations help throughout the body to fight. The antioxidants in celery help protect cells from damage caused by free radicals, which can lead to inflammation.
8. Celery is rich in antioxidants. Antioxidants help clear out harmful toxins and by-products that can damage cells.
9. Celery can do it help strengthen the immune system. The vitamins and minerals in celery help support the immune system and keep it functioning properly.
10. Celery can do it reduce the risk of certain cancers. The antioxidants in celery may help protect cells from DNA damage, which can lead to cancer development.
11. Celery can help it detoxify the body. The vitamins and minerals in celery help support the detoxification process by binding to toxins and removing them from the body.
12. Celery can help with weight loss. Celery’s low calorie and high fiber content make it an excellent weight loss food.
13. Celery can help with the joint health. Celery’s anti-inflammatory properties can help reduce joint swelling and pain.
14. Celery can help make skin look younger. The antioxidants in celery help protect skin from damage caused by free radicals, while the vitamins and minerals support collagen production for healthy, elastic skin.
15. Celery can be a healthy pregnancy help promote. Celery’s folic acid content helps support a healthy pregnancy by preventing birth defects and promoting fetal development.
Bottom Line: From improving digestion to fighting inflammation, celery is a versatile food that should be included in any healthy diet!
Often you only need 2 stems for a recipe. You can freeze the other stems very well. At least I do, but opinions on this are divided. Cut these into small slices, after removing the threads and make packages of 2 stems. Put it in the freezer and you can use it perfectly in a next sauce or green shake.
Some celery recipes:
Together with Jenny I own Good food Healthy living. After my study period I mainly worked as an online analyst and made great career moves. But my real passion lies with healthy food and cooking! I have often worked with Jenny and I was often able to advise her on which food was right for her. We enjoyed exploring together. What exactly is a healthy lifestyle? What effect does nutrition and exercise have on how you feel? Why is the power of thoughts so strong? This website is my passion. Together with Jenny I like to share tips about a healthy lifestyle. I’m not a doctor, so I can’t give health advice. However, I can give tips on a sustainable and healthy lifestyle. I like to share recipes and also like to try something new in the field of nutrition.