Trail running has exploded in popularity in recent years, but what are the best trail runners, or trail running shoes, for your trail run? The range of trail runners is now very large and every brand has a collection of trail runners. That’s why we’re happy to give you tips on how to find the best trail runners to meet all your needs.
What is a trail runner?
How do you recognize a trail runner or trail running shoe? Because how does a trail runner differ from a normal running shoe? A trail runner is specially designed for rougher and uneven terrain. Compared to a normal running shoe, a trail runner has a slightly stiffer insole to prevent you from feeling every stone you walk on.
The outsole is made of rubber and has more profile. This gives you more grip and your foot notices less of the unevenness of the terrain on which you will be trail running.
Finally, trail runners are reinforced at the toes, so that a bump can be absorbed.
What should you pay attention to when buying trail runners?
Before we dive into the best brands and models, here are some factors to consider when looking for the ideal trail running shoes:
- Fit: It’s essential that your trail runners fit properly, because no one wants to get blisters or sore feet on a trail run. Always try them on in a store with knowledgeable staff to make sure you get the right size, and don’t forget to wear your running socks. There are special trail runners for men and women.
- Grip: A good grip on the surface is crucial in trail running. Look for shoes with aggressive soles and enough studs to provide grip on different types of terrain, such as muddy trails, rocky surfaces and wet roots.
- Protection: Make sure you choose shoes that provide adequate protection against stones, branches and other obstacles that you encounter while trail running. This usually requires shoes with a sturdy toe cap and a good upper.
- Damping: Depending on your personal preference and the terrain you’re running on, you may need to consider cushioning for extra comfort during trail runs. Some runners prefer minimal cushioning for better ground feel, while others want more cushioning to reduce impact on their joints.
Dear trail runners
There are many different brands that offer trail runners, but these are the brands with the best trail shoes:
- Salomon trail shoes: Salomon is known for trail runners of excellent quality and designs.
- Brooks trail shoes: Brooks has a large collection of trail runners for both novice and experienced trail runners.
- Asics trail shoes: Asics trail running shoes are known for their comfort and durability.
Hiking on trail runners
Hikers who often walk on uneven terrain such as forests, sandy paths and in the mountains are increasingly opting for trail runners. Especially for hiking, trail runners are great walking shoes. The advantages of trail runners are that they are lighter, breathe better, dry faster, sometimes have a little more cushioning and give you better contact with the surface.
But using trail running shoes for your hike also has some drawbacks. For example, most trail runners are not waterproof, they offer less stability and the outsole wears out faster.
Frequently asked questions about trail runners
Can you walk with trail shoes?
You can use trail shoes as hiking boots. The advantage is that they are lighter and more breathable. Use them especially for walking on unpaved paths. It also saves you an extra pair of shoes if you go on holiday both walking and running.
Can you walk on asphalt with trail shoes?
Yes, you can of course also walk on asphalt with trail runners. But trail shoes wear out faster on asphalt, so run on unpaved terrain as much as possible with these shoes.
What is the difference between running shoes and trail shoes?
Trail runners are sturdier than running shoes. In addition, they have more grip so that they are suitable for unpaved paths. They also offer more protection for your toes, so you don’t hit yourself hard against a sharp stone or branch.